Astronomy

Wolfram|Alpha iPhone App

Wolfram|Alpha iPhone App

Postby WolframAlphaTeam » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:25 pm
Are you using the Wolfram|Alpha iPhone App? We are interested in hearing your feedback!

Read more about some improvements we have made to the iPhone app in this post on the Wolfram|Alpha Blog.
WolframAlphaTeam

Costs too much

Postby zdude1858 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:53 pm
I liked the optimized mobile web site, But the new app that costs $50, in the middle of a recession, is not cool. also, there were only three reviews total on your app, and two of them thought it was expensive.
zdude1858

Re: Wolfram|Alpha iPhone App

Postby mitro » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:29 am
I bought it today and yes it is expensive and I would like the idea if the pro features are part of the iphone app as well... Because there are so much benefits, that this price is really o.k.

One additional thing - when I used wolfram|alpha the first time and watched the intro I thought my mind was blown away...

MY GOD - WHAT A PROJECT...
mitro

Postby sarexpert » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:52 pm
Why should we pay $50 for an app that gives nothing except convenience? Alpha is free on Safari. If it also added citations, or provided something special...
sarexpert

Postby trunks6262 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:23 am
I have the app and trust me, it's not worth it. It has a few cool features but is WAAAAAYYYYY overpriced. I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure that it uses the internet anyways (but double check on that)
trunks6262

Postby cagbay » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:20 am
i love this app..
we were using mathematica in the school and it was amazing to work with it.. and now the whole power of mathematica is coming in one app, its great work guys, chapeau.. it is much more easy to work with it than mathematica itself (syntax) and since the app is here it's more usefull than the safari page. but the fact is; a little bit too expensive while using the webpage is for free.. i think that less people would buy it..

greetings from switzerland and sorry because of my english ;)
cagbay
cagbay

Suggestions from an App buyer

Postby ralphmwhite3 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:31 am
It would be great if the app had memory locations, so that the user may store a query, store the results of a query, or create and store formulas created by the user. (Most calculators have at least one memory location.)
ralphmwhite3

Postby ralphmwhite3 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:59 am
It would be great if the app had memory locations to save searches, and the results of searches. It would also be great if users could create and save custom formulas.
ralphmwhite3

Postby superflow » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:17 am
I purchased iPhone W|A app and really enjoy it. However I would like to see the following implemented:
1) W|A Community inside the application with ability to post a comment
2) At least some features from pro version (because of the high price)
Vitaliy Kaurov, CSI CUNY
http://www.kaurov.com
superflow

Postby ralphmwhite3 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:19 pm
This is REALLY minor, but I think the name on the app on the iPhone's home screen should be "Wolfram" or "W|A", or anything other than "Wolfr...Alpha"
ralphmwhite3

Postby janewhite » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:18 am
The iPhone is an Internet and multimedia enabled smartphone designed and marketed by Apple Inc. The iPhone functions as a camera phone (also including text messaging and visual voicemail), a portable media player (equivalent to a video iPod), and an Internet client (with email, web browsing, and Wi-Fi connectivity) — using the phone's multi-touch screen to render a virtual keyboard in lieu of a physical keyboard.

The iPhone OS, known as OS X iPhone in its early history, is the operating system developed by Apple Inc. for the iPhone and iPod touch.Like Mac OS X, from which it was derived, it uses the Darwin foundation. iPhone OS has four abstraction layers: the Core OS layer, the Core Services layer, the Media layer, and the Cocoa Touch layer. The operating system takes less than 240 Megabytes of the device's total memory storage.
acai berry
janewhite

Postby iKlee » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:29 pm
i am one thosde people thinking to buy this app but do not do it because too much expensive, so i'm wondering about the difference between the free web site edition and the app.
probably a cheaper price should help to sell more of this app!
iKlee

Postby andersha » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:44 pm
Hello Wolfram!

I really love your work here at wolframalpha.com and I think it's fantastic that you've made an iPhone app as well. As many people say, it's a bit expensive but frankly I don't care. It's great to have the whole Wolfram-system with you everywhere. Also, the app is a whole lot better than the Safari version.

I agree with ralphmwhite3, you should change the name, because now it says Wolfr...Alpha and that kinda' sucks.
Except that, you guys rule! Keep up the great work, but you might want to consider lowering the price to $19.99 or something, $50 is a bit too much and you're limiting your software to the power-users.
andersha

Postby dudegalea » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:20 pm
I love the app, but (apart from the suggestions made above) here are a few of mine...

I'd like to be able to hit a button on the input dialog to bring up a bigger input box. Some types of query are just too long to enter in a small box without seeing the whole thing. I'm thinking of math expressions with lots of brackets, for example, where you can get totally confused if all you can see is a tiny bit of the expression.

It'd also be nice to have an 'expression builder' for entering math, so you don't have to use English syntax. The app might convert the expression into the written form if that's easier for the engine to handle.

I'd like to be able to tap on an answer (or an expression) and store it so I can use it in another query. The ability to define functions would be very useful too.
improv engineer, hacker and quantum mechanic

dudegalea.com
dudegalea

Postby graphics » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:07 pm
I don't speak for everyone, but the general consensus of mobile application users thinks Wolfram for iPhone is overpriced and confused...

First of all, $50 for the functionality one can get for free on their browser? Ouch!
Second, Wolfram has added a feature which adds pop ups is you try to access their website through the iphone Safari browser asking that you buy the app.... Lets see, pay $50 or push the little "x" and use it for free.... hmmm

I guess what many of us want from Wolfram (perhaps in a well written press release) is a detailed explanation how the mobile app is worth the $50 and how it varies from the online browser version. What extra awesome features are we getting in the mobile app to appropriate the $50 charge? Should the browser version also be $50? And how does Wolfram differentiate its product from Google and wikipedia? $50 .... really?

Am I paying $50 for simple UI design of the application?
graphics

Postby jietang1750 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:03 pm
I really like W|A.

Comparing to commercial Math software (Mathematica, Matlab, etc) which costs around $2000, the $50 price for Alpha is actually not that much.

However, I do hope that something can be done to make Wolfram|Alpha more attractive.

1. It is possible to have some sort of educational discount or rebate so that college kids can enjoy this app for a low price?

2. Is it possible to add some offline feature like math, plotting, etc? This will enable people to use this app like a giant calculator on an iTouch when there is no Wi-Fi and Safari is will NOT work.
jietang1750

Postby fburton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:49 am
Agree "Wolfr...Alpha" is kinda cheesy. Next upgrade (if there are any!) should correct that.
fburton

Postby MatthewKlein » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:12 pm
Just bought W|A App this morning.
What a marvelous thing!
I'm extremely grateful that you've created this.
BTW, The new price ($19.99) makes this a 'must have.'
MatthewKlein

Postby kamrienlorrry » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 am
I just got a Ipod Touch and I am running Windows XP. My problem Is, I open Itunes and It opens ok but If I have my Ipod Touch plugged In to my computer and try to close Itune It will not close. If I go to the task manager It saids "Not Reponding" next to Itunes. If I open Itunes without the Touch plugged In and close Itunes It closes as normal. What can I do to fix this?
kamrienlorrry

Wolfram|Alpha iPhone App - don't bother, just open Safari

Postby Kingston » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 pm
I got the application for $19.99. What a waste of money! Apparently it is nothing more than a front end to the web site. I could open Safari on my iPod Touch and get the same results. Too bad there are no refunds. What a waste.
Kingston

Postby dan79 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:47 pm
I love this app.
dan79

Postby BethR » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:56 pm
I just bought this app. It's very interesting.
BethR

Postby vaduz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:54 pm
Unlike some of these comments, I am less concerned with the price and more focused on the functionality. I would ask for two additions:

1) I recognize that the iPhone is not powerful enough to host Mathematica natively, but I am sure it is sufficient for certain computations. If WA could be my standard calculator (even when out of data range) then I would use it a lot more. As the iPhone gets more and more powerful, more of the functionality of WA could be ported over (it might even be useful to show a toggle of when it is performing calculations natively vs. on your servers).

2) The ability to store solutions on the iPhone and send those solutions to someone else (even a pdf or rich html).

Thank you.
vaduz

Postby leet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:18 am
No - I really find no need for it. I rarely have access to the internet outside of my house so if I need to visit Wolfram I can just access it from home.. for free.
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains.. yet so often times it happens that we never even know we have the key.
leet

Postby tboy72 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:35 am
ralphmwhite3 wrote:This is REALLY minor, but I think the name on the app on the iPhone's home screen should be "Wolfram" or "W|A", or anything other than "Wolfr...Alpha"

Your right, that is a ridiculous comment. Of all the things to comment on with this app, you chose that?!
tboy72

Next