Medicine

Drug Information

Drug Information

Postby sassflight » Sun May 30, 2010 3:10 pm
I entered the name of a drug and got some interesting facts, but was also expecting to get a list of known side effects, or at least how many studies were performed prior to it being approved. Is it because this information is not available yet, or because WolframAlpha is not designed to return this information? The drug I entered was 'mirapex'. I tried 'mirapex side effects' but that got me facts about a movie by the name 'Side Effects'.

Thanks.
sassflight

Re: Drug Information

Postby Nuclearman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:57 pm
It's more likely the information has simply not been entered into the Wolfram Alpha database yet.
-Nuclearman
Nuclearman

Re: Drug Information

Postby briangilbert » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 pm
This could be a USP= Unique selling point, for Wolfram Alpha.
The side effects of most drugs are probably already on databases. By getting that data curated WA could tell an enquirer whether what seemed to be a new symptom was in fact a side effect of an existing medicine.
At present most old people are on many drugs and a new symptom often results in a further drug or medicine being prescribed until their case is a mess.

WA would probably also be able to deduce which combinations of drugs caused side effects never noticed by the producers of the individual drugs.

I for instance had itching of my back and was prescribed a cream to rub on it which was useless. it was in fact a side effect of an existing medicine. The information enclosed with a drug is usually in very small print and complex. the average user never reads it.

WA could then answer a query such as
What causes an itchy back
With the answer among other data
Movicol, a medicine prescribed for relief from constipation.
briangilbert