Medicine

How are you using Wolfram|Alpha?

How are you using Wolfram|Alpha?

Postby WolframAlphaTeam » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:07 am
How are you using Wolfram|Alpha in the medical field? Please share your ideas with the group.
WolframAlphaTeam

Re: How are you using Wolfram|Alpha?

Postby Berci » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:44 pm
I use WolframAlpha because sometimes (if I know exactly what I want to find) it saves me plenty of time and clicks. If I want to calculate BMI, Google lists me several calculators. WolframAlpha calculates it itself. If I want to find information very fast about a clinical marker, Google gives me resources, WA gives me the best answer in one click. I also use it for ICD classification, as it’s more easily accessible than Wikipedia; for epidemiological data and other calculations.
Berci

Postby Macen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:14 pm
W|A needs to conduct more medical curations on generic drugs (And their brand name synonyms) in order for me to find it useful (in conducting dosage requirements.

Such as a chart, Weight - Dosage or Age - Dosage
Pseudonym Alex Macen

Volunteer Curator to the Wolfram Alpha Project.
Macen

Postby EricaWilliamson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:14 pm
Currently I am using Wolfram Alpha in my Math Tech Lab Course. At first I thought the site was a school base version of Google, but it is far more complex than that. This website is Excellent! As a Math and Science major this website will greatly assist me in my undergrad career, I look forward to exploring all the site has to offer.
EricaWilliamson

Postby Robotculator » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 pm
I am using the WA as a "somehow" substitute with Mathemetica for our Machine Problem course on Med. Kewl I still found this software!
Robotculator

Postby briangilbert » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:20 pm
EricaWilliamson wrote:Currently I am using Wolfram Alpha in my Math Tech Lab Course. At first I thought the site was a school base version of Google, but it is far more complex than that. This website is Excellent! As a Math and Science major this website will greatly assist me in my undergrad career, I look forward to exploring all the site has to offer.

W|A aims to use only data that has been vetted to scientific standards. This means it uses a lot less data than google but its answers are a lot more reliable.

For Maths information as opposed to answers I suggest you also try Wolfram's mathworld at
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/about/
briangilbert