Life Sciences

Expand Genomic / Proteomic Database

Expand Genomic / Proteomic Database

Postby katar8 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:32 am
Hi there,

I often need to compare genes and protein sequences, but recognized that Wolfram|Alpha only "knows" the human genome/proteome. What I'd really appreciate would be if the most important animal models (like mice, drosophila, c.elegans) would be implemented, as Wolfram|Alpha is much faster and easier to use as most other search engines. Would be awesome if it could align two or more sequences, too!

Greetings, katar8
katar8

Re: Expand Genomic / Proteomic Database

Postby katar8 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:56 am
By the way: The most important search engine that computes such results can be found on http://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi
Just thought that using Wolfram|Alpha could be much easier.
katar8

Postby belindara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 am
Can you create a unique database using Microsoft Access and get a license to sell it? My boss would like to use Access in order to fine tune a database specific to his business. But he would then like to take that set up and sell it to other like minded business. Is this even possible? Can you take a product, tweak that product to be unique and have selling rights to it? If not, can you suggest how my boss might get what he wants? Thanks.
belindara

Postby Nuclearman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 am
belindara wrote:Can you create a unique database using Microsoft Access and get a license to sell it? My boss would like to use Access in order to fine tune a database specific to his business. But he would then like to take that set up and sell it to other like minded business. Is this even possible? Can you take a product, tweak that product to be unique and have selling rights to it? If not, can you suggest how my boss might get what he wants? Thanks.

Sounds like you should have created a new topic. If this doesn't answer your question, I recommend doing so with more information.

Sounds like your asking if you can take the information from 1 database, re-format it, then sell it to others that would fine it's new format more usable. The basic answer is you'd have to arrange it with whoever holds the original database, as they may have contracts about how they use the information.

Since your asking about it on W|A forums, I'm guessing your referring the data W|A holds. While I'm not part of W|A, I am somewhat familiar with how the site operates. This is probably going to be an even greater pain, as W|A basically sits in a "for-free" position of exactly what your asking to be able to do (with constraints that it doesn't allow itself to be data-mined). Either way, if that's what your after, your best bet is probably to start by checking out their business solutions section: http://products.wolframalpha.com/business/
-Nuclearman
Nuclearman