Health & Fitness

How do you use Wolfram|Alpha to stay fit and healthy?

How do you use Wolfram|Alpha to stay fit and healthy?

Postby WolframAlphaTeam » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:22 pm
Wolfram|Alpha offers many features that can help you track your health and fitness goals. You can calculate your BMI, compute calories burned in a walk or run, check and compare nutritional information for foods, calculate nutrient information for recipes, and assess your risk for heart disease. For more examples, check out this post on the Wolfram|Alpha Blog: http://blog.wolframalpha.com/2009/07/15/how-many-calories-does-my-body-need/
What are some other ways you use Wolfram|Alpha to stay fit and healthy?
WolframAlphaTeam

Re: How do you use Wolfram|Alpha to stay fit and healthy?

Postby sindark » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 pm
On Slate today, there is an article on how BMI is a poor measure of health:

http://www.slate.com/id/2223095/
sindark

How to lose fat using the wolfram BMI?

Postby Medo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:13 am
I'd like to share that BMI has helped thousands of people, including myself once, to lose excessive fat on their bodies. I find it hard to believe that many people underestimate the importance of monitoring their BMI in order to get in shape. A wise guy once told me that "maths will never fail you", and it proved correct using the BMI calculations. Actually, it's a fantastic way to realize what and how much you should eat down to the daily basis. I recommend all of you guys to use this great tool to get healthier. I did it and anyone can too. Thanks wolfram.
The optimal way to lose fat is to LOVE yourself enough to HATE looking unhealthy.
How to lose back fat.
Medo

Postby thad99 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:38 pm
I plan to start using WA to stay healthy in 3 different ways. First I am using it to stay informed about health and nutrition topics. Second I use it to do research to find out how may calories are in the food I eat. Lastly I use it to find out how many calories I burn during activities. I hope that all of this will help me lose weight.
5 years licensed Dental Insurance Plans adviser
thad99

Postby Robotculator » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:22 pm
i can keep track of my BMI.
(and as of now, my BMI increased by 1.3 for 1 week )
Robotculator

Postby carljohn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:45 pm
Wow I didn't know you could calculate directly through WA. I'm severe thinness, that's not good.
Use Kohls coupons and save when you shop at Kohl's website online.
carljohn

Postby Randy87 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 pm
I think BMI is certainly necessary, especially for beginners. It is hard to really understand how many calories you need to consume and how many you need to burn. Every little thing that can help you is necessary! It all comes down to calories!
Randy87

Postby adward » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:46 am
Randy87 wrote:I think BMI is certainly necessary, especially for beginners. It is hard to really understand how many calories you need to consume and how many you need to burn. Every little thing that can help you is necessary! It all comes down to calories!

That's right. Especially for one to gain weigh so that he know how to calculate a reasonable meal.
adward

Postby tryggvirafn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:46 pm
I think BMI is certainly necessary, especially for beginners. It is hard to really understand how many calories you need to consume and how many you need to burn. Every little thing that can help you is necessary! It all comes down to calories!

I am starting out now and I think it has helped me allot to track my progress.
tryggvirafn